Benefice of Somerton


Pitney ChurchSt. John the Baptist is the only Church in the village of Pitney in Somerset.  Although the exact date of build remains unknown, aspects of the construction date from the 13th and 14th Centuries. Various restorative actions were completed in the 15th and 16th Centuries and in the 19th Century the current altar table, rails and choir stalls were added to the Chancel. More extensive restoration took place in 1875 resulting in the removal of a gallery and the North door. During this work a Saxon cast-bronze openwork brooch was discovered.  This became known as the 'Pitney Brooch' and now resides in the British Museum. In the late 20th Century Tower restoration was completed and in 2014 the support structure for the bells was overhauled, a fifth bell added and the whole 'tuned'.  St. John's is therefore in 'fine fettle' and is a beautiful example of the quintessential English Parish Church. 

Details of Services can be found on Services page on this website

Following the recent interviews and the recommendation of the Parish representatives, we are pleased to announce that the Bishop has appointed the Reverend Judith Swan to the post of Priest in Charge of the Parishes of Somerton, The Charltons, Kingsdon, Long Sutton and Long Load and Pitney. This appointment is subject to a satisfactory completion of the usual statutory checks made on all clergy taking up a new post.

A Service of Welcome will be on Thursday 25th July at 7pm in St Michael's, Somerton.

Church Wardens

Liz Jones 01458 274263

Click this link to email

 Rob Walrond 01458 253002

Click this link to email

Church Address: Pitney, Langport, TA10 9AR

  • Church Web Office
  • Somerton
  • Somerset
  • TA11 6RW

Email Us