Charlton Mackrell - The Blessed Virgin Mary
The church of St. Mary the Virgin consists of chancel, north vestry, central tower, transepts, nave and south porch. The fabric is of 14th century origin with much refashioning in the 15th century but a drastic restoration of circa 1847 has somewhat obscured the architectural history. The most outstanding feature is the end window of the north transept with elaborate and beautiful tracery of about 1330. The rest of the windows have been largely renewed but two excellent drawings of J. C. Buckler, in 1834, show that the present fenestration to a certain extent follows the old lines. The plan suggests a Norman origin but no features of that period remain as is the case with some other churches of the same plan in Somerset.
The Victorian renovation involved the rebuilding of the porch, roofs and most of the windows and the addition of the vestry which replaced one of uncertain date on the opposite side of the chancel. The work was quite competently executed and, judging by the above mentioned drawings by Buckler, was a fairly faithful reproduction of what was there before, so far as the exterior was concerned, though it is difficult to understand why it was considered necessary to do so much renewal. The elaborate roofs are quite good and much better than might have been expected at that date: it is probable that some at least of the carved bosses in the nave are medieval. The tower has a southwest stair turret crowned with a modern spirelet quite in the old manner.
The lovely end window of the north transept has the ball flower ornament typical of the period on the rere arch. Originally this window was filled with contemporary painted glass depicting the Five Joys of Our Lady with the kneeling figures of William le Lyt and his wife Agnes at the bottom as recorded by Thomas Lyte, in 1631. This glass has long disappeared but Thomas Lyte made drawings of the figures at the bottom that he had engraved on a stone slab and set up in the chapel at Lytes Cary. The tomb of William le Lyt and his wife was formerly in the north transept but was eventually, probably in the middle of the last century, destroyed and the Purbeck marble slab with their effigies thrown out into the churchyard. Here it still remains in a very decayed condition under a yew tree. The old font of late 12th century date is now in the north transept and has been discarded in favour of a modern successor.
Some of the early 16th century bench ends have been mercifully spared. They are mostly straight headed but a few have poppyheads. One has a satyr depicted and another the Percy coat of arms (this family inherited the Fitzpaine property in the 15th century and were here until about 1537) but the majority have tracery designs. Note the foliated squints on each side of the chancel arch and the tomb recess under the end window of the south transept. There are two chandeliers probably of the 18th century.
The following mural tablets should be noted, all with heraldic achievements - Simon Whetcombe (1657), William Dodd (1760), Mary Pyne (1770), Lydia Dodd (1778) and George Page (1822). There is an 18th century table.
The registers of Baptisms, Marriages and Burials begin in 1575; an entry of 19th October 1609 relates to the marriage of Henry Adams and Edith Squire from whom descended two Presidents of the United States, John who succeeded George Washington and John Quincy, the sixth.
The Plate includes a communion cup of 1570. There are six bells, one of which is dated 1665 and another 1788. The west window contains some fairly early 19th century painted glass and is interesting as an early instance of the revival of this art. The churchyard cross which was well restored in 1923, exhibits the Evangelistic symbols on the base.
Charlton Adam - St Peter and St Paul
The Church of St. Peter and St. Paul consists of chancel, nave, south chapel and porch and west tower. The chancel is early 14th century in origin with a 15th century east window. The rest of the fabric seems to be mainly 15th century but the chapel may be a trifle later. The restored roofs are of the local wagon type so characteristic of the West Country. The church was restored in 1893, though, fortunately, much less drastically than was the case at Charlton Mackrell in 1847. The material is the local lias stone with Ham stone dressings.
The pulpit is 17th century of simple Jacobean character. Between the chapel and the chancel is a wide skewed arch and passage. The monuments include one to Thomas Basket (1592) with strap cartouche and inscriptions between two columns, the whole surmounted by a pediment. The font with round bowl and shaft is late 12th century. Note also mural monuments to Anne Strangways (1638) and Giles Strangways (1677). There are numerous inscribed slate memorial slabs of the 17th and 18th centuries.
The plate includes an Elizabethan silver parcel gilt communion cup and a silver paten Of 1718. One of the five bells is of mediaeval date. The late Mr and Mrs C Neville of the Abbey, were great benefactors to the church. Their benefactions include a large panel painting of the Blessed Virgin with St Matthew and St Jerome from the Zouche collection at Parham, Sussex, the Crucifixion over the chancel arch, a copy of one in Florence and painted by Mrs. Neville who was herself an accomplished artist. She also painted and presented the altarpiece - a copy of a fresco by Perugino. The wooden altar candlesticks are of foreign origin and probably 18th century. Note also the altar table and chandelier in the chancel, both of 18th century date. The choir stalls and seating generally are good modern work in harmony with their surroundings. There are a few fragments of 15th century painted glass in the west window. The registers are less ancient than many, the earlier books being lost. Baptisms and Burials begin in 1704, and Marriages in 1707. In the churchyard is the restored cross. The steps and base are medieval but the rest dates only from 1911 and is inspired by one at Crowcombe, in West Somerset. The restoration was effected in memory of the Rev. PW and Mrs. Bryan.
Kingsdon - All Saints
Kingsdon has since 1981 been part of the United Benefice of Somerton with Charlton Adam and Charlton Mackrell. There is no resident priest in Kingsdon and the three clergy, consisting of the Priest-in-Charge, the Assistant Priest and the Curate share the work of the four churches along with help from retired clergy living in the area.
Services follow the following pattern:
1st Sunday: A family service at 11:00.
2nd Sunday: 9:30 service alternating between a Communion service and a modern Mattins style service (without communion).
3rd Sunday: Evensong at 18:00.
4th Sunday: Communion at 9:30.
5th Sunday: When there is a 5th Sunday there is a 10:00 Benefice service rotating round the four churches.
There are some additional services on Saints’ days and other Holy Festivals. The times of the services are always shown on the notice-boards in the Church porch and on the gate pillar at the entrance to the Church path, as well as being published in the Kingsdon Chronicle.
Historically, the Church was first mentioned in 1242 and the name of perhaps the first Rector, Adam Hildebrand, is first recorded in 1309. The building is of blue lias stone with hamstone dressings and the earliest part of the church is believed to be the nave which is of 12th century origin. The 70 ft church tower was added at the west end in the 15th century but had originally been built above the north chapel. The pulpit dates from 1627 and the font bowl is of 12th century origin.
- Church Office, Rosemount
- Sutton Road
- TA11 6QP